My Voice in Pictures

29 Jun

Dear Surgeon,

I may seem neurotic to you. I understand this is a pretty low risk surgery. However, 28% of patients experience voice changes after a thyroidectomy. I need to be in the other 72%. Capice?

Maybe you need to understand me better. No, I am not a professional singer. In fact, I don’t even sing that well. But that’s irrelevant. It’s what I like to do, and I would appreciate you not taking that away from me.

While you perform my surgery, there are a few images I would like you to have in the back of your mind. My voice in pictures, if you will.

When I was a little girl, I demanded the spotlight at family Christmas to perform the entire Annie album.

In high school, I belted out “Spanish Rose” in “Bye Bye Birdie.”
In college, I was the Mock Rock queen. And although I was only lip synching in the performance, I screamed the lyrics during the winner’s encore.
Did I mention how many times we won first place?
I need to be able to sing at venues that don’t even offer Karaoke, as I did during the summer of 2002.
I have big plans to once again hit the stage in Vegas with a live band to perform “Hit Me With Your Best Shot.”
Coldplay is releasing their new album. Do you think I am going to stand for not being able to scream “YEAH!” after Chris Martin asks, “How long must you wait for it?”
Yeah…there’s no way I am letting you take away my ability to scream.

So write yourself a note, or do whatever you have to do.

Sarah Young is in the 72%.

Thanks.

Advertisements

4 Responses to “My Voice in Pictures”

  1. Kfanningcm June 29, 2011 at 4:35 am #

    I know that I'm akways commenting on your posts; but I feel kind of bad saying this, I look forward to reading your new posts!! I was just thinking earlier today that maybe you should record your voice now saying different things; maybe recording something for each of the girls, then recording it again after and then listen to it later to see if there was any difference?? I don't know, maybe I'm over-analyzing this whole thing in my head.

  2. Sarah June 29, 2011 at 11:20 am #

    Unfortunately, "voice changes" really means voice damage…permanent hoarseness, inability to speak loudly and difficulty singing.I have all the faith in the world I AM in the 72%. Just getting my feelings out!

  3. Sarah June 29, 2011 at 11:21 am #

    And please…comment away! I love it!

  4. Kfanningcm July 2, 2011 at 4:25 am #

    When I saw the first picture, I did not realize that it was YOU!!! Amazing, seeing how much your girls look like you!! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: